Saturday, March 01, 2008

The Rich Man's Ketchup

My wife and I were having dinner, not unheard of, on the living room sofa. This night it was a meal of frozen entrees: homestyle French fries and Quorn fake chicken nuggets, with bowls of yoghurt and fruit on the side. We were nearly out of ketchup, so I brought in some mustard and an ancient jar of cocktail sauce.

"Ah, cocktail sauce," I mused. "The rich man's ketchup."

My wife looked skeptical. "Is that really what they call it?"

"Well, it sounds like something from The Simpsons. So I doubt it. But it's a good name. Maybe this is our million dollar idea. 'The rich man's ketchup' will be the slogan. We just have to invent the sauce."

She thought for a moment over a French fry. "Condiments? I don't know. It's a pretty crowded market. Think about the condiment aisle in the supermarket. Salsas. Mustards. Ketchup." She paused." And of course catsup."

"Catsup. Now that," I said, "is the rich man's ketchup."

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Admin said...

What if you mixed together all the contents of the bottles that only have about a quarter-inch of condiment left in them? You could call it the crazy man's condiment.

1:51 PM  
Blogger Wm. A. Everitt said...

You could do for cocktail sauce what Grey Pupoun did for mustard.

5:51 AM  
Blogger Hallovian said...

Actually, someone else suggested calling the product "Red Poupon."

7:55 AM  
Blogger andrew scease said...

or perhaps "poupon rouge" - or with cinnabuster's recipe "condementia"

8:45 PM  
Blogger andrew scease said...

I had the oppurtunity to use "Rich Man's Ketchup", as a substitute for 1/2 of the "catsup" called for in a recipe, when making 6lbs of Meatloaf for the Salvation Army Soup Kitchen in Portsmouth, NH. It was deemed by my fellow kitchen mates as the "best meatloaf I have ever had" and "the best meatloaf I've eaten in ten years". Poupon Rouge - uplifting the down and out.

8:05 PM  
Blogger andrew scease said...

I had the oppurtunity to use "Rich Man's Ketchup", as a substitute for 1/2 of the "catsup" called for in a recipe, when making 6lbs of Meatloaf for the Salvation Army Soup Kitchen in Portsmouth, NH. It was deemed by my fellow kitchen mates as the "best meatloaf I have ever had" and "the best meatloaf I've eaten in ten years". Poupon Rouge - uplifting the down and out.

8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home